Cappuccino Cake

Today I was feeling rather domestic again and so out came my Mary Berry recipe book and I decided to make a Cappuccino cake.
I have been on a bit of a baking craze recently but this one was a recipe I have been dying to try out and with all the ingredients in I thought I would try it!
The ingredients are:
50g cocoa powder
6tbsp boiling water
175g self raising flour
275g caster sugar
3 eggs
100g margarine
60ml milk
1 rounded tsp baking powder

I mixed the cocoa powder with the boiling water and then added all the other ingredients and mixed together until it was all smooth. I then divided the mixture evenly in to two 20cm loose bottom cake tins (previously greased and lined) and baked in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees (Gas mark 4) for 25-30 mins...our oven is a little dodgy at the moment so for me it was already done at 25mins! I then took it out the oven to cool completely before adding the filling and topping.

The filling and topping consist of 300ml double cream whisked until it holds (not too much though! It needs to be light) I then mixed in 1tsp instant coffee with 2 tsp boiling water and mixed it gently in with the cream so it was all evenly combined.
To finish I just split the mixture in half and spread half on one of the cake slices and placed the other sponge on top and topped it with cream. To add the final touches to it I sieved drinking chocolate powder over the top (you can use cocoa powder but I find that can be quite bitter) annnd voulla!
I have no idea about copyright stuffs so all I can say is this recipe is found in Mary Berry's Simple Cakes cake book :)

All that's needed now is a cup of coffee and there we have a lovely afternoon snack :) enjoy! x

Comments

Popular Posts