Wait for the Lord.

What does it mean to wait for God? We live in a society where we expect things to happen instantly. The age of mobile phones and instant messages makes life feel so rushed and it is very unusual, and somewhat uncomfortable when we find ourselves waiting. This morning at church we had a sermon on waiting and it really spoke to me. How often do we take time to just sit and wait for God? And when we do, what are we waiting for?

My Taizé experience taught me how to wait and since then I have striven towards having at least ten mins in my day where I sit in silence and wait. I will admit this hasn't always been easy, especially on days when my timetable is packed and my thoughts are all over the place! I often find though that it is these busy moments when we need God most. There was a time over summer when I was realizing all the commitments that I had when I started back at Cliff and I was wondering how I was going to fit everything in and cope with the pressure of everything. I then heard God speak to me through something somebody said to a group and I know then quite clearly that if I made time for God, God would make sure I had time for everything else!

I have been learning recently that in many situations where I am seeking God, sometimes the answer to my prayers is to just wait. Sometimes, there is nothing I can do but to wait and let God work through situations. Other times when I am called to wait it is because God has something much better in store than what I had previously anticipated!

Waiting isn't passive though, it takes action. To purposely set aside time to sit and wait for the Lord. Not to sit around not doing anything but to sit in anticipation of being in the presence of God. It's amazing how in those times of silence and stillness you are able to hear the quiet whisper of God at the end of the deafening storm.

Wait for the Lord who's day is near,
Wait for the Lord, keep watch, take heart. 
x

Comments

Popular Posts