God of Promise

I decided this afternoon that I needed to get a bit of fresh air. So I kitted up and off I went. However as soon as I stepped outside I realised it was raining, it wasn't heavy but it was enough to make me question whether or not to turn back. I decided I would carry on and I am so glad I did!

As I was walking the rain came down harder but I had made my decision so I carried on wards and upwards. Further up the road the sun broke through the clouds behind me and because of the rain, in front of me formed a clear, bright rainbow. This was so powerful as I walked straight towards the rainbow as the evening before we had a celebration service on The God of Promise. It was an evident reminder that despite everything that happens in daily life, no matter the inconsistencies and unexpected events, God's promises remain.

The challenge I got from the sermon was what do you do with those promises? To have God's promises there gives hope but that does not mean that we will not go through difficult times. So many times you hear people saying that if you become a Christian everything will be alright. This does not mean that everything is suddenly going to sort itself out and become instantly perfect, in fact the opposite might just happen. After all we are called to pick up our cross and carry it.You may ask yourself, if things aren't going to be sorted out and there is a guarantee that things are going to be difficult because you have a faith, is it really worth it? But the hope and promises that God gives us of a future in Him is far more than any struggle and any pain and any difficulty we may have.

My walk today was a perfect reflection of the walk of faith. Is the rain enough to make you question turning back? But how amazing was it when you carried on and the promises of God became a reality? As you moved through the rough patches, the times where the rain seemed to fall incessantly, how amazing to walk straight in the path of God's promises and move into the clear, bright light of the sun and the clearing of the rain. x

Comments

Popular Posts