A Greater Joy

Is there anything more lovely than the feeling of Joy? Not just surface level happiness but a deep rooted inner joy. The sort that is there despite negative surroundings or bad news. Joy that can't be moved! I personally don't believe there are many things that are more lovely than that feeling.

The reason I write is because over the past few days I have had a sense of that Joy returning to my heart and I just can't help but tell people all about it! I have had joy like this before however around October time until this past weekend it seemed to have disappeared. I find it so exciting as I believe it's the beginning of a new season in my life...one that's rooted in this deep solid joy.

It all started on Saturday evening when as part of a mentoring session I had I was challenged to explore what my identity was. Up until this point I had known the words that describe my identity...'child of God'....'Daughter of the king' etc. but it had never really grounded itself in my heart and I wasn't living in the knowledge of it. After a lovely day out I thought I would spend some time in the evening just relaxing and looking up Bible passages that could relate to my identity.

Very quickly it became apparent that I was searching for similar sorts of verses which were all in reference to me being chosen and bought out of darkness. The three which I picked out were these:

'But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a people of his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.' -1 Peter 2:9

'Therefore if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold the new has come.' -2 Corinthians 5:17

'Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.' -1 Corinthians 6:19-20

In choosing these three in particular but also reading others it suddenly struck me that I was created and I was chosen! Better still, I was chosen long before I was even on this earth...wow! The more I thought about it, the more amazing it became! I had this sudden realization that I was not my own but God's. I was created by him and bought by him through the death of Christ on the cross...that's 2014 years ago. Through that I have new life, I am a new creation! I was a new creation before I was even born- now that's something to think about!

There is so much more I could say about this revelation but I am afraid I would begin to ramble and you would be here reading this forever...maybe I will write another post sometime soon with a bit more information on it...who knows! But for now I am celebrating in the joy that is in my heart and the new season that I am now in! x

Comments

Popular Posts