A Summer Of Serving

This summer, after many failed attempts to get a summer job, I had the privilege of volunteering at The Hope Centre, which is the Christian book shop and cafe in Macclesfield. It was a humbling experience at first when I went in to offer my help when the response I received was that I was an answer to prayer! So often we pray prayers asking for things, but never really think about the fact that we may be used as an answer to somebody else's prayer!

I'm looking back on my time there now as I had my final shift today which has come around incredibly quickly and it is a little bit sad. One of the most amazing things about working there is the opportunity to share a little part of people's lives. In one particular instance we were able to celebrate a landmark event in the life of a regular customer that brought so much joy to both the person involved and the staff who had been able to build up that relationship with this individual over time.

There are many wonderful things that this cafe does but one of the most poignant I believe is that every day is started off in prayer. Through this a close community is formed as all the staff gather to pray for the customers that have been in previously, those who will come in on that particular day and also for the needs and situations in the lives of the volunteers and staff members. It's a true blessing and encouragement to know that as I head back to Cliff in the next few days, there will be a small group of people who I have had the pleasure of getting to know this summer, praying for me.

Although it was a shame that I never managed to get a paid job, I can honestly say that it has been a joy working as a volunteer. Along with all the other workers it is clear that everybody is there because they find a great joy in serving others in their community. In some strange way I am thankful that I never got paid summer work as it gave me an opportunity to work purely for the pleasure of serving other people and helping out when the need is greatest.

So despite feeling sad that I have finished my last shift, I can look back on this summer and smile at the friends and memories that were made all through working and serving God through the Hope Centre. All things have a season and I can happily say that this season of work has been a real blessing in my life. x


Comments

Popular Posts